Windows XP Task Bar.

Daibus 11:38 01 Jun 2003

A little problem but an annoying one.
I installed a Genius KB-16M Keyboard and had to download a patch to make all the keys function correctly in XP Home, which they do now.

But very often the icon Hotkey Keyboard is displayed in the centre of the Task bar, taking up quite a lot of space. In Task bar properties I have gone into Customize, and selected Always Hide, but this has know effect on the icon. It can be cancelled by right clicking and selecting Close, which is the only option shown, but if I do this all the keys do not function correctly until the next reboot, when it shows itself again. If I disable Hotkey in StartUp then the patch dosn't load and the keys will not function.
I have uninstalled and installed the patch to a different location on my computer but the same icon insists on showing itself on the task bar again.

Any ideas.

barrie_g 11:47 01 Jun 2003

check in the settings of the program try right clicking the icon to find somewhere that allows you to customise the settings and see if there is an option for "show shortcut" or similar and uncheck it.

Daibus 12:19 01 Jun 2003

barrie_g

Thank you for your reply but the Hotkey Keyboard icon does not show any option for Shortcut or any other means, that would enable me to cancel the icon on the task bar.

Cheers for your help.

Gaz 25 14:32 01 Jun 2003

The only thing, try stopping the patch from loading in msconfig, but you may loose hot keys, or change the icon if possible, and even set to hide if it will.

otubby1 15:41 01 Jun 2003

My last keyboard was the hotkey type, but I am baffled by the size of the icon you describe. All I had on my taskbar was a small square with hatchings in it.

And I think that you will find you are correct in that you have to have the icon showing for the keyboard to work. If I closed mine, the 'special' keys didn't work... Internet, Volume, Frequently used programmes etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?