Windows XP Support Tools

powerless 08:40 20 Jul 2003

Part 1 - click here

Part 2 - click here

I'll start the Quoting here:

All you need is on your Windows XP disc. If you need help diagnosing and resolving system problems then check out the Windows Support Tools

Identifying tools - If you run into problems and want to try and fix or trace the cause of a particular problem then the best way to determine which tool to use is to launch Support Tools Help from the All Programs menu

Using Windows Support Tools - The Windows Support Tools perform all kinds of functions to help diagnose and resolve problems with your system. Each tool can be launched by double-clicking the appropriate .exe file in the Program Files\Support Tools directory. However, not all the Windows Support Tools have a graphical interface so some will need to be run from a command prompt.

Tool: Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

File Name: msicuu.exe

Description:
This useful program removes any configuration data that Windows Installer records and saves for a particular installed product. This includes directories, files and registry entries. This tool comes in handy when a previous corrupt installation is stopping you from successfully installing a product

I've finished the quoting now.

Useful?

-pops- 09:05 20 Jul 2003

Interesting that the word "futility" appears in the click heres that you gave<;-)

Brian

powerless 09:10 20 Jul 2003

Yes interesting!

Hmmm...

...Ummm

ermmm...

I give up!

VoG II 10:13 20 Jul 2003

"The Windows Support Tools are aimed at those users who have a good understanding of Windows XP"

Not much use here then!

Thanks anyway Powerless.

-pops- 10:29 20 Jul 2003

Or anywhere?

Is there anyone with a good understanding of it, apart from flecc, of course!!

keith-236785 10:33 20 Jul 2003

wonder if even Mr Gates understands win XP?

powerless 10:36 20 Jul 2003

Refuses to comment.

They'll help someone those tools i'm sure of it ;-))))))))

-pops- 10:53 20 Jul 2003

I'm certainly going to have a look at the tools, notwithstanding my lack of knowledge! You never know, there could well be something of vital and universal applicability in there.

I notice there are two levels of installation to accommodate different levels of expertise.

Thanks for the link Powerless, it could be v. useful.

Brian

barrie_g 12:16 20 Jul 2003

Looks like great fun I will be having a look at it later... and will probably be doing a clean reinstall of Windows tomorrow.

AndySD 12:25 20 Jul 2003

Hmmm....looks good

Im off to play.

powerless 19:50 10 Jul 2004

Playtime is over.

Bumpo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?