Windows XP Startup prblem

mocall1 10:19 22 Nov 2007

Hello Forum Members,
My PC problem is more annoying than critical,
butt there must be something wrong because it
is getting worse.
I will Explain the prcedure at startup on my PC.
First window:- Black with white lettering
Second Windows logo with traversing blue
light "this light traverses
Eleven times"at the moment.
Thirdly A complelety Black windowfor
Apprx One second.
Fourthly Windows logo wilh traversing
lights " this time for Nine
Traverses and increasing"
Fifth A completely black window for
Approx Rour seconds Followed by
the Mouse cursor dead centre
Six Small windows logo with text
(loading Settings)
Seven Moves onto Desktop Loads
Macafee and I am up and
running

Can anyone help with this problem?

mocall1

Pamy 11:50 22 Nov 2007

What problem?, mine takes much longer than that

mocall1 12:43 22 Nov 2007

It would seem that you also need help.

I will wait in hope that a more constructive piece of advice comes along.

If you keep an Eye on this post you also might find some hep for your slow startup.

mocall1

brundle 14:29 22 Nov 2007

Need more to go on, PC spec, memory, programs running at startup. Mcafee is fairly resource-hungry and could be a contributing factor. Do you maintain the system, clear temporary files, do the occasional defrag ?

mocall1 15:21 22 Nov 2007

Hello, Thankyou for you interest, I will try
to give as much info as I can.
I would describe My PC Spec As 80 Gig HD (Half free). Memory 1 Gig. Regular clean ups using
Auto defrag. auto tweekdun,Regcure, Advanced windows care (Weekly)
Programs rnning in the background at starlup Appsox 25 do I need to list them?
Not knowing what they actualy do, holds me back from using the knife.
I have tried to find out what is really
essential but with no luck.
I have descovered how to change these programs to manual or delete. but without advice
I am reluctant to move.
My usage is taken up by Surfing the WEB,
Emais, windows medea player,Printing Scanning,
Writing the odd letter.
I would turn every program to manual if I
could understand how to recognise when auto should be restored.
I hope all this helps

Mocall1

birdface 15:39 22 Nov 2007

Have you tried ,Start,Run,and type in, msconfig,And go to start up,Do you have many programs ticked,I have 6 but basically all you need is your security programs and Firewall ticked.You could un-tick the rest,Apply ok.When you re-boot a box will appear just tick the little square,Ok.Now if you decide that you have un-ticked one and you need it running just go back to msconfig and tick it again,Apply ok.Etc.

mocall1 17:15 22 Nov 2007

I went START/ RUN/ SERVICEs.MISC I changed all but a few programs from AUTO to MANUAL I Re started. there was no change in my protracted startup. But when desktop appeard it faild to load McAfee and the MaCafee icon only responds with a BLACK LOGO. So at the moment I have no security.I used (services.msc)to make the changes
on advice fron (blackviper.com) there are decriptions of the programs in this window.
I checked (msconfig / startup) and there were no changes here.ALSO I left MaCafee on automatic
when I did the changes.Also my task & toolbar
have changed from BLUE background to CREAM
mocall1

brundle 18:07 22 Nov 2007

Switch everything back to the way it was, or as much as you can remember, at least get Mcafee going again.
Disabling services won't make a dramatic difference to the speed of your computer and as you have noticed can do more harm than good. Is your PC part of a home network? If not go to Control Panel/Folders, click View, untick "Automatically search for network folders and printers", then go to Network Connections, right click your main connection, if the following are present and ticked , untick them. "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing".

Restart PC.

Any strange crashes or problems lately? Slower than usual performance overall?

mocall1 20:06 22 Nov 2007

Thanks for you speedy responce
I corrected as best I could I finally got MaCafee working after system restore and some fiddling about.I did the other checks that you
mentioned, not knowing which was to be the main
connection, I checked them both, Broadband was unticked & I unticked Client Etc on my ISP.
So now I am back where I started, the appearance
of two windows showing the XP Logo and for four times the original time plus the Blak Screen is
still a problem.
Thank you again
mocall1

brundle 23:23 22 Nov 2007

As I don't know what else is starting with your Windows system I can only suggest that Mcafee is contributing to your slow-startup. The only way to find out is to un-install Mcafee and install an alternative AV in the interim, one that uses minimal resources. NOD32 recommended click here. However, it's a lot of trouble to go to.

BUSYLISSE 17:27 22 Jan 2008

get hijackthis,it does a lot more than finding hijackers.
when you get it run &make backup.
then run again,this time ,go trough every listing
in results.there is a box that xeplains what each listing does &gives advice on what to do .
try it ,as you have made backup ,doing what it advises wont do any harm &may cure your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?