Windows XP Starts up very slowly with a dim screen

tallboy 09:24 09 Jul 2009

I've had this problem before and it corrected itself; so far this time, it hasn't done so.

When I start up Windows XP I get a very dim logo screen. This then becomes bright (i.e. normal level of brightness) but the moving rectangles in the bar below the logo start and stop. (moving)

I eventually get the normal black screen with a central pointer, followed by the log-in screen.

Once I log in, everything seems to work as normal. (So far!)

How can I resume the normal start up speed and eliminate the initial dim screen?

rawprawn 09:52 09 Jul 2009

Unless anyone knows better I suspect that the MBR is corrupt,
click here

sharpamat 10:28 09 Jul 2009

this could be caused by any of a number of problems. the actual brightness could in fact relate to the monitor. If you have access to another one try swapping them and see it that works ie not dim but ok

the second point. you raise ma or may not be connected.I would suggest a memory check maintance( defrag ) and then if required run scanow. all of these subjects are fully detailed already in the forums

birdface 10:37 09 Jul 2009

Maybe try Device manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside display adapters.

tallboy 11:02 09 Jul 2009

Thanks for your quick responses rawprawn, sharpamat & buteman.

I've checked the Device Manager and that reports that the display adapter is working normally. I also ran defrag earlier this week - but I guess there's no harm in running it again. I'll also run scanow and if these don't fix it, repair the MBR.

I'll post an update once I have done these. (Probably next week now as I'm about to go away for a few days.)

tallboy 14:42 09 Jul 2009

I ran scannow and the problem has gone away. (So far) I believe XP picked up a few files from the install disk (which scannow asks for) during the scan, so may be it was fixing the MBR.

I'll now run a defrag on the C: drive, just to be sure it is running as well as I can get it to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?