Windows XP SP3 problem

harris99 17:51 31 Aug 2008

Yesterday I noticed in my Notification Bar the small shield indicating that an Update was being downloaded and didn't know how to stop it! However, I pressed Ctrl,Alt, Delete and stopped the programme runing. I then went to Windows Update to see what had happened and under Express Updates it said that SP3 had been downloaded but not installed and inviting me to click Install Now.
Things are running well at the moment and all updates installed up to mid Aug. I do not want SP3. When routine updates arrive in Sep will I be able to install these or will Windows want me to install SP3 first? I have rather belatedly turned off Automatic Updares! Second, is there any way I can delete or otherwise get rid of this SP3 download? As you may have guessed I am not very sophisticated in computers!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 31 Aug 2008

"I am not very sophisticated in computers!"

So why don't you want SP3?

thousands of people have downloaded and installed it without any problems

skidzy 17:56 31 Aug 2008

This blocker from Microsoft will stop the update (sp3) from downloading for 12 months. click here

You should be able to remove the download from add and remove programs/show updates needs to be ticked.

skidzy 17:58 31 Aug 2008

Just to add to the above,SP3 is for your benefit.

Do you have a particular reason for not wanting this update ?....maybe we can help on that if that is the case.

harris99 18:41 31 Aug 2008

Thanks for your replies. I have been reading reports in this forum about some of the difficulties experienced with this update. I thought some people had suggested that if one was up to date with all updates and did not use the internet much then possibly SP3 was not so important. OK, I will give it a go when I've screwed up my courage!

Dart Echo 18:53 31 Aug 2008

SP3 is not necessary (like a lot os MS updates) for the home user, so don't worry about it too much. If you do install it you will notice no difference in any case.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 31 Aug 2008

SP3 is not necessary (like a lot os MS updates) for the home user,

Where did you get that idea?

SP3 contains security updates for IE, media player and a host of other MS software and is therefore well worth downloading.

Dart Echo 19:28 31 Aug 2008

From Microsoft Download Center (sic)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\.. And also from my own experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?