Windows XP SP3 post installation chaos

Billawa 18:09 27 Jul 2008

I downloaded the pack then installed it. I already have SP2 installed. On rebooting the monitor was on some ridiculously low resolution. I click the button suggested on screen to get a better resolution but nothing happened. Repeated the procedure, again nothing same huge pixelated screen with windows being larger than the screen available and unable to move them up or down sufficiently to click any boxes at the bottom of the page.

Fortunately I had created a restore point before installing SP3 and was able to restore the computer. When installing SP3 do I need to disable any programmes antivirus, firewall, etc? Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

GaT7 18:24 27 Jul 2008

Yes, best to disable whatever 'extraneous' is running in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del).

If it happens again, I'd suggest looking in Device Manger for video/graphics-related problems. Prior to installing, download drivers for your graphics card, just in case you may need to reinstall them - this may solve the low res problems if it occurs again.

Keep setting those Restore points. G

john bunyan 18:50 27 Jul 2008

Billawa. Have a look at the other recent forums on this. I suggest downloading SP3 to desktop - dont install.(From MS developers web site) Then disconnect from Internet, disable firewall and antivirus then install SP3 in safe mode. Restart in normal mode,Then re enable firewall and antivirus and re connect to internet

Billawa 17:35 29 Jul 2008

I have now succeeded at the fourth attempt! Some things to note:-
If you have an AMD processor you need to download a patch from the Microsoft site to allow SP3 to install otherwise there will be problems. Having got the patch and the SP3 download from the M/soft site and disconnected from the Internet, make a restore point, then disable ALL firewall and antivirus programmes. Then proceed to the installation. A bit of a performance but it worked and there appear to be no problems.

john bunyan 19:33 29 Jul 2008

Billawa.
I also have dual core AMD. Did not get patch but did all the rest as you describe !!

GaT7 10:45 30 Jul 2008

I've installed it about a dozen times on AMD systems (sngle-core) with no problems whatsoever. G

provider 2 10:56 30 Jul 2008

Some problems on hp machines with AMD:

click here

Batch 11:51 30 Jul 2008

A few months back I recall there being a non-critical (driver?) update available via Windows Update for AMD processors. Of course, this may not have been applicable to all AMD processors (mine was an Athlon 1100).

provider 2 11:57 30 Jul 2008

This may have something to do with it:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?