Windows XP SP3

ljstevens 11:45 12 Apr 2008

Is it worth me downloading XP Service pack 3? any benefits from SP2?

johnnyrocker 12:05 12 Apr 2008

i would wait til final release.

johnny.

Woolwell 12:13 12 Apr 2008

The latest edition of PCA (received today) and the home page of this website states how to get SP3 but as far as I am aware SP3 final version isn't available as of now and it isn't downloadable as described by PCA yet (I've just checked).
I would do as johnnyrocker has stated. SP3 final version will probably be worthwhile having.

Stuartli 12:31 12 Apr 2008

SP3 RC is due very shortly, but I've been using the latest Beta version since it was launched and have experienced no problems to date.

When the final release is available I will have to Remove SP3 Beta before installing it; it's also important, after installing, to do a full defrag.

To ensure there were no setbacks with the Beta, I did a full backup before installing it.

One benefit has been that the latest Windows Updates haven't applied to my system as I always have "a newer Service Pack is installed" message.

Miros 13:14 12 Apr 2008

There is no significant difference according to this: click here so you may as well hang on for the final release.

cocteau48 14:31 12 Apr 2008

You have another option in that you could use the registry script (only 38K) and available here:
click here
Unzipping it installs it into your registry and then by going to the normal MS Update site it will select/download and install only those bits of SP3 which are relevant to your circumstances.
The full 336MB beta version contains absolutely everything since SP2 - you will already have a lot of it through the normal update process - and some of it applies to processes which you may not even have installed.
My download by this method was only 65MB and I am hoping that (as the link above also asks for the removal of previous SP3 releases before applying it)that come the final release it will just require updating and not uninstalling/reinstalling

Switcher 15:24 12 Apr 2008

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?