Windows XP SP2B

willo500 14:14 28 Sep 2007

I want to run windows on my intel Mac. I have ordered an OEM copy of XP because Vista seems not to have settled down yet. The version I have ordered is called Windows XP Home SP2B. I am a bit confused as to what the B suffix means.

Can anyone tell me if this SP "B" is just the same as SP2 and whether it will run on boot camp all right?

Thanks for your help

Willie

ambra4 14:35 28 Sep 2007

While Windows XP SP3 is not expected until 2008,

Microsoft has quietly released an update to XP SP2 called Windows XP SP2b that is now available in software stores across the world

birdface 14:37 28 Sep 2007

I am sure I read something on PCA home page last week where Microsoft were giving away free downloads to Windows XP for those customers that were having problems with Vista.Maybe someone else noticed and will be able to enlighten you how to do it.

AI33 14:44 28 Sep 2007

have you got boot camp?

If not go to the apple mac boot camp site. click here

buteman

Isn't that something to do with ultimate and business editions of Vista?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 28 Sep 2007

This is the new release of XP pro but before you get all excited about it The B version has been added as Microsoft have run out of licence numbers which this version resolves

birdface 18:08 28 Sep 2007

It could well have been.I just remember reading something about it.Not having Vista I assumed that it was all Vista Editions.

willo500 21:23 28 Sep 2007

Thanks for the replies chaps. As long as this runs all right on my mac when I get boot camp downloaded I will be all right with it.

I am however wondering whether I should use XP or Vista Home basic. I had sort of decided on Vista but then kept hearing it would be a while before the bugs were sorted and thought maybe I should go for XP.

Any thoughts?

Willie

birdface 11:40 29 Sep 2007

Sorry but as I have not used Vista I am unable to offer the advice you seek A lot of folk use and like Vista others have problems and go back to XP.It was the same as when IE6 got Up-Graded to IE7 there were lots of problems and a lot of folk went back to IE6 and some of them are still there,I suppose its a matter with sticking with Vista and sorting out the problems as you go along,Or going back to XP and what you know.The choice is yours.The best of luck whatever choice you make.

willo500 23:45 29 Sep 2007

Thanks for all your help people. I will use XP home and see how it goes

Willie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?