Windows XP SP2 works fine, Internet won't view

The_Dancer 10:54 29 Jan 2007

I am trying to get to the route of my problem. There seems to be no problem with my software for Windows XP sp2, however, when I try to go online, I get "Cannot find server, Page cannot be displayed". and if I try another web page, a dialog box appears saying "Internet Explorer could not open the search page"

I have run cmd, and websites are pinging with a return of 100%, and all IP addresses are correct. I am on cable broadband (telewest), and this connection is always on, except when I reset it once per week at the mains switch.

Could this be a motherboard fault? I have tried re-installing all the drivers, however, in Device manager, there still is a question mark beside the PCI device.

The following is what my computer runs on:

AMD SEMPRON 3200+ AM2
512 DDR2 533 RAM
MAXTOR 160GB HARD DRIVE 7200 8MB CACHE
ASROCK ALIVE NF4G AM2 SATA 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

does your anti virus manage to up date? if so that would suggest a problem with your browser if not it could be your connection

The_Dancer 11:01 29 Jan 2007

I have no anti-virus software yet, however, windows automatic updates don't come through, but when I put XP sp2 on, I was able to register it at the setup?

€dstowe 11:02 29 Jan 2007

Have you tried an alternative browser?

€dstowe 11:02 29 Jan 2007

Very dangerous running with no anti-virus. Get one installed as soon as you can.

The_Dancer 11:04 29 Jan 2007

I've run IE fix for 6.0 and that didn't work, and also, the connection in Network connections says "connected, firewalled" I thought this meant that the windows firewall was in the way, but it does the same thing if I take off the firewall, and restart etc.

€dstowe 11:06 29 Jan 2007

Install a different browser - Firefox or something just to get away from the MS efforts.

The_Dancer 11:07 29 Jan 2007

(in non-sarcasm) How do I do that without being online?

The_Dancer 11:08 29 Jan 2007

how do I remove IE also?

fitshase 11:16 29 Jan 2007

You are online at the moment. Download the install file from Firefox and burn it to a CD.

Install it on the problem machine and see if that works.

You can't remove IE as Windows uses its functions for other things. If you install Firefox, simply set it as your default internet browser.

The_Dancer 11:25 29 Jan 2007

I'll have a go at that. Thanks for the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?