Windows XP Sp 3 Automatic Update

provider 2 15:51 26 Aug 2008

Just a confirmation that XP Service Pack 3 (KB 936929) arrived here via automatic updates to-day.

The download took about 12 minutes but included Windows Update Agent 7.2.6001.784

The installation, with EULA agreement and Installation Wizard, took about 20 minutes and required a rather lengthy re-start.

Everything seems to be working, so far, anyway.

howard64 17:09 26 Aug 2008

yes I took it as well but once downloaded I switched off internet; virus checker and firewall before installing. Everything went well but cannot really see any difference as yet.

Cockney Rebel 17:15 26 Aug 2008

Have also put sp3 on without any problems.Didn,t switch anything off either.Although the wizard started straight away so I wasn,t given the option to download an install later.All ok so far.

ambra4 17:34 26 Aug 2008

Windows XP SP3 do not add any new feature to XP

SP3 is a complete compilation of all the XP updates, patches, hot fixes, security fixes,

that was sent out by Microsoft since SP1

So now instead of over 100 updates, patches, hot fixes, etc there is only Service Pack 3

listed in the Add/Remove display

SP3 may well be the end of the line for XP service packs Microsoft's support for the OS

was to ends in 2009, but have now been extended support until 2014.

SP3 is most certainly essential for anyone who hasn't applied SP2, and for those who

haven't kept up with the Windows Update downloads, but if you've been on top of things,

SP3 won't do much for you.

Teterouge 17:36 26 Aug 2008

After an unsuccessful attempt at installing SP3 I am left with a Windows Installer that pops up every time I attempt to load a program including IE or Firefox. I have now spent two days trying to get the problem solved. Wish I had never heard of SP3

provider 2 23:07 26 Aug 2008

There`s a lot of information here about issues that may arise while attempting to install XP Sp 3, and more importantly, what to do about them:

click here

Also, the list of fixes applied since XP was introduced really is quite impressive, or quite appalling, depending on your point of view:

click here

provider 2 11:27 27 Aug 2008

I seem to have acquired a new irritation in the form of a small Automatic Updates window which says:

Updating your computer is almost complete. Your computer needs to be restarted for the updates to take effect. Windows will re-start your computer in 4 minutes.
Do you want to restart your computer now?
Restart Now Restart Later

and a progress bar ticking down like a time bomb.

This refers to an update for Windows Defender that downloaded about an hour ago and left the yellow shield in the notification area.

Who`s in charge of this machine, I wonder?

provider 2 12:44 27 Aug 2008

Hmm, it`s this Windows Update Agent thing, apparently. I should have read cocteau48`s links in another thread more carefully:

click here

click here

Firefoxlover 23:14 27 Aug 2008

Help! Since downloading the lengthy update this evening, I can no longer access Outlook Express. When I click on the link it takes me to IE settings...

provider 2 12:12 28 Aug 2008

Firefoxlover,

I can`t find a specific reference to the problem you describe but could it be related to this one? It has been occurring frequently, it seems:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017