windows xp sold on ebay

iamalipaul 22:24 10 Mar 2004

I have noticed some windows xp discs for sale on ebay, some are without product key or certificate of authenticity (COA) which I thought was illegal.

Is it possible to install and run xp without these? I understood that xp was registered to the hardware through the MS site.

also my daughter has an xp system restore disc that was supplied with her PC, what is the difference between hers and the full version.

thanks in anticipation

Diodorus Siculus 22:30 10 Mar 2004

The software cannot be installed without a CD key. Then it will have to be activated within 30 days.

Your daughter's restore disk will set the PC back to how it was when it left the factory. It can only be used on one PC.

Diodorus Siculus 22:31 10 Mar 2004

The activation is linked to the hardare on the PC.

benjamin1441 22:34 10 Mar 2004

Don't buy it if it hasn't got the COA, because when you install it, it will ask you for the code on the COA, and you won't have it, so it won't allow you to continue. Whether it's strictly illegal or not to sell it like that, I don't know. Cheers, Ben

LastChip 22:51 10 Mar 2004

There are many good deals on e-bay and indeed, I have had successful buys myself, but software is an area that you have to tread with extreme caution.

As others have already said, XP without a code is throwing money down the drain. I also believe, there are versions of XP being offered that were originally "tied" to certain manufacturers. Now apart from licensing issues, which I have no intention of discussing, there are may be problems in product activation. This is because I believe these products have been produced to load only on certain machines, and when the CD program recognizes your machine is nothing like it's supposed to be, it may refuse to activate. Remember, these CD's I'm referring to are OEM disk's and as such, are meant to be on specific machines. I have no idea how Microsoft would react, when you telephone them and tell them you've bought a second hand operating system and would like it activated please.

Maybe another member has had experience of this and can offer information. Personally, for me, e-bay and software do not go hand in hand. There's just too many potential pitfalls.

djsew 23:12 10 Mar 2004

CD keys? Yes Diodorus Siculus, but not in every case, it depends on the package e.g. a Dell OEM version not needing a CD key was recently available on E-bay for less than £30 (30day limited), a valid/unactivated COA was offered for a further £10.

Chegs ® 23:25 10 Mar 2004

There is an app available to generate the WPA codes for all "flavours" of XP,online.It then becomes a matter between the folk buying XP via this route,and their conscience.

woodchip 23:25 10 Mar 2004

I bought Win98se with full Licence and book Raped for £42 on Ebay you should always double check what you buy and also send e-mail to seller for more info

woodchip 23:28 10 Mar 2004

No good at spelling but could see it was wrong after I posted it "Wrapped" not raped

The Spires 23:39 10 Mar 2004

To get around the OEM rules regarding software only supplied with hardware some sellers provide such things as a modem lead for the hardware part. Checking the sellers past record is time well spend but you can save some money. One thing about XP OEM versions is the limitation as regards hardware changes but I hear MS are quite reasonable.

Audeal 00:24 11 Mar 2004

A couple of years ago a friend of mine wanted to sell his windows 98, stilled wrapped in its shrink wrap including all codes, manual etc. so he put it on ebay and after a few days ebay informed him that someone from Microsoft had instructed them to remove it from the auction, which they did. There was no explaination for this action and he still does not know why it was done.

It was all leagal and above board. So my friend took the set down the road to a local Chinese Restaurant and sold it there in ten minutes flat.

No further problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?