Windows XP Shut Down Issue

Itchy Fingers 10:23 11 May 2003

I recently purchased a full version of Win XP Home only to be told that the M/C is safe to turn off, but waits for me to push the power button. My motherboard is a GigaByte G71XE, which I believe is two years old. I have plenty of memory, disc space and every thing else, so a friend suggested I updated my BIOS, but the last updates pre-dates XP. It looks to be that a new motherboard is the next upgarade I will have to consider - I wonder if that would also cure the need to hit the reset button to get my new 64 mb Nvidia video card to kick in on start up?

powerless 10:28 11 May 2003
  powerless 10:30 11 May 2003

I think this one will also help click here

Itchy Fingers 12:51 11 May 2003

Thanks for the two links powerless, but I have tried them via other postings. Considering MKBA 810903:-

BIOS does have Power Management which was disabled but now is enabled (no change)I have aslo tried giving it a 4 sec delay.

W-XP Power Management does not display "Enable Advanced Power Management Support" just an "Advanced" tab which enables the icon to be shown on the task bar.

Device Manager shows the Computer as a "Standard PC". I have tried but can not make it change.

I am running Go Back and NSW2003 but these do not seem to impact the power down status.

Under "Non-plug and Play Drivers" neither "MS ACPI Driver" or "NT Apm/Legacy Support is displayed".

I have downloaded and installed all the updates that MS say I needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?