Windows XP Setup

Rustler 16:07 12 Aug 2003

I have just upgraded my computer with a new IBM/Hitachi Deskstar 120 GXP 120GB Hard Drive,also fitted Asus CDRW and Asus DVD and additional 256 Ram on the existing Asus A7V133 Motherboard which has the 1008a upgrade fitted.
The M/B is compatible with the new hard drive but I am having terrible trouble installing Windows XP Professional.
I can get into the setup routine and the bios recognises the new 120GB hard disc, I can partition the hard disc and also format it but when the setup routine starts to copy the files it always locks up after installing approximately 24% of this routine.
The XP version is a genuine OEM version bought with the hardware.
I have also tried installing a OEM version of Windows XP home with the same result.
Can anybody please advise me what I am doing wrong.
I didn't have much hair when I started this but I look more like Kojak now(that shows how old am !!)
Please please please help.
Rustler

JIM 16:48 12 Aug 2003

I see you formated the hardrive (a new drive).
A standard format?

The, always locks up after installing approximately 24% of this routine,gives me the impression that there is,or may be some dammage to the drive.

I had a similar problem when my drive reached
3% then no go anywhere. Doing a format C:/Q produced an install of the Windows software etc. though this would not give me long-term reliability as i believed my drive was no good (damage to the platters). I sent it back and had it replaced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?