Windows XP and Service Pack 3

p;3 15:03 14 Sep 2008

My computer has SP2 installed and Windows Update has SP3 available ; however, reading around the internet and various computer forums suggests that many have encountered various problems with SP3 including crashed/slow computers

Is it adviseable to ignore that Service Pack 3 pro temp?

rdave13 15:32 14 Sep 2008

I don't know if you'll get problems updating to SP3 via Microsoft updates. I installed it through the'stand alone' installer so I could burn to disc for future possible use.
Unfortunately I did have problems, such as optical drive not being recognised, and other minor things but my own fault really. It's suggested to disconnect from 'Net and close all security software. Install SP3 and re-enable security before connecting again.

skidzy 15:39 14 Sep 2008

No problems here,installed on a laptop and one desktop,rest of the computers are Vista with sp1.

All updates went smoothly and no real noticeable difference.

Cockney Rebel 15:43 14 Sep 2008

Recently installed sp3 from the updates bit.No reported problems.All went smoothly.

chub_tor 15:47 14 Sep 2008

I installed it some time ago with no problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:52 14 Sep 2008

Yes some people have had problems, they are the ones you read about,

the majority of people haven't.
Download, disconnect from the web,
switch off Av and Antispam BeFORE installing.
Switch AV and antispam back on before reconnecting to the web.

provider 2 16:25 14 Sep 2008

Installed it from automatic updates (always on), having run Ccleaner, Eusing Reg Cleaner (resident app), defragged, and turned off everything else.

Windows Upate Agent 7.2.60001.784 arrived first, which I installed.

No real problems except it wiped all my SP2 restore points (maybe I had too many), but System Restore is busily making them again for SP3; software distribution, system checkpoint (automatic), and manual, of course.

Strawballs 17:35 14 Sep 2008

Just installed from auto updates on three machines with no problems at all.

Caså 17:57 14 Sep 2008

Installed on 6 family PC's from burnt CD nothing turned off & no problems.But maybe best to turn off running progs,it costs nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?