Windows XP Service Pack 2 Nightmare

Kas24 13:32 29 Jan 2015

My laptop crashed and was set to factory settings, with a toshiba recovery disc. It has windows XP service pack 2 home edition. I have tried to download windows updates on internet exlorer but it says that my browser is out of date and will not open any web pages. I have followed Microsoft's instructions about adjusting active x, but still will not open web pages. Not sure if I can download active x on my laptop. A bit nervous of what website to download it from anyway. Even if I could I am not sure it will download anyway. Microsoft do not support xp anymore so had not luck with them, only that they say to install service pack 3. Firefox browser I downloaded, also do not support xp and suggested to download browser Opera who do. I did and when I tried to open it my laptop crashed and rebooted itself. I also tried to down load Kapersky Internet Security Trial and it also does not support XP. AVG does not support XP. Norton also do not support XP service pack 2. It seems my only option is to update to windows service pack 3. Not sure how I do this. Do not want to corrupt my laptop again and have to recover to factory settings. It is a vicious circle, so can anyone help me please? Kas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 29 Jan 2015

Avast will run on XP

Download chrome and use the IEtab to get updates

Sp3 here

Kas24 17:24 29 Jan 2015

Hi, Thank you for your advice most appreciated.... Kas

Jollyjohn 11:50 30 Jan 2015

WXP comes with IE6 and you need at least IE8 to connect to the Microsoft site for updates. If Fruit Bat's method doesn't work, look for IE8, download and install then you should be able to get the rest of the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?