Windows XP Service Pack 2

JChristopher1 22:36 14 Apr 2009

I've recently purchase a Vodafone Top up and Go Mobile Broadband dongle, but I can't install the software, presumably because I need to be running XP with Service Pack 2, and I'm currently only running with SP1. I only have dial up on the PC currently (hence the move over to broadband), so it'll take up to 8 hrs to download. I did download the .exe file for SP2 from the Microsoft website (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) on to a pen drive from a PC with broadband, but when I try to run this on my PC I get the error message saying this .exe file is not a valid Win32 application.

IS there a way around this, other than spending 8 hrs (and lots of £££) downloading SP2 via Windows Update ? Thanks for your help.

OTT_Buzzard 23:05 14 Apr 2009

what .exe file is it complaining about?

DieSse 23:17 14 Apr 2009

Ask a friend with broadband to download SP3 for you, and put it onto a CD.

Link for doing that

click here;pop

SP3 includes SP2 updates, so you can just skip straight to SP3 - and this is a later version of SP3 with some updates in it too.

laurie53 08:23 15 Apr 2009

Try Helproom.

The magazine (PCA) put SP2 on a free CD and someone may still have their copy which they may be willing to part with or copy.

iscanut 10:01 15 Apr 2009

This link seems to be only for info files, and not the link for SP3 itself as the text at top of page suggests you go to Windows update for the actual sp3 file..

ambra4 10:24 15 Apr 2009

Not a valid Win32 application

click here

iscanut 11:32 15 Apr 2009

The file you mention is the sp2 download file so you will need to have a look at ambra4's link

peter99co 20:58 15 Apr 2009

I got a free sp2 cd from PC World. Ask at the desk.

JChristopher1 22:25 15 Apr 2009

Thanks all - I managed to download SP3 on a PC with broadband, and have succesfully installed that. It seemed that the SP2 file I was trying to download was corrupted, a couple of times when I tried it, it didn't fully download and gave up half way through. John.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires