Windows XP Service Pack 2

Red Devil 17:04 27 Sep 2007

Hi all,

OK, due to a motherboard, processor, memory and graphics card upgrade I need to re-install Windows.

However, I have the plain XP version. Not the Service Pack 1 Edition, let alone the Service Pack 2 Edition.

Microsoft's site states that I cannot access updates unless I have Service Pack 2 installed but I can't figure out how to get it. I've tried to download it from Microsoft's site but it states that my PC already has been updated to Service Pack 2.

So how do I get hold of the update?

If I logged onto Microsoft's site once I have the plain, vanilla version of XP installed, is there any way of getting hold of Service Pack 2 from their site?

If not, then how do I get the Service Pack?

Many thanks.

beeuuem 17:07 27 Sep 2007

Try this link click here

Red Devil 17:14 27 Sep 2007

Many thanks for that - downloading it now.

beeuuem 17:17 27 Sep 2007

"Utrique Paratus"
Always glad to be of help!

Pineman100 17:18 27 Sep 2007

Are you sure about that link? It states in capital letters: DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER.

It then refers you to click here

Pineman100 17:21 27 Sep 2007

beeuuem - are you a para?

beeuuem 17:47 27 Sep 2007

I am pretty sure that this version works as I used it to upgrade my old system. It is possible that MS prefer you to use MS Updates as it records the D/L history for your computer.

There are other options e.g. click here

Pineman100
I knew a mixed bag of people duing the 70's in Rhodesia.

Red Devil 12:39 29 Sep 2007

Well, it just goes to show that it pays to be a magpie sometimes.

I was trawling through my collection of CDs looking for drivers for a recent upgrade and, lo and behold, I found to PC magazine cover discs with XP Service Pack 2 on them!

That should help with my Windows installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?