Windows XP Service Pack 1a

ardeebee 15:02 26 Jan 2009

Having recently re-installed Windows XP on my existing PC (due to a hard-disk failure) I find that I need to instal XP Service Pack 1a to run Pinnacle Studio Plus 9.4 software. I've searched for this Service Pack and have found a zipped version on the Microsoft site (and on several other sites) but when I try to instal this the installation terminate with a message telling me that a large list of files contained in the installation (presumably from their own site) are corrupt. It then refers me to a Microsoft Update site to obtain a FULL version of the Service Pack which does not require a live connection to the internet during the installation process. However I can find no mention of such a file on the Microsoft site. Can anyone suggest a source for the full XP SP1a please?

MAJ 15:12 26 Jan 2009

You need to install SP3, it's a cumulative patch containing all the security and critical updates. Go to the Windows Update page and download it. click here Make sure to install antivirus software first.

ardeebee 16:44 26 Jan 2009

Thank you for the very prompt response. However, following this link takes me to the Microsoft (as opposed to Windows)Update site and asks me to register for Microsoft Update. When I progress this it checks for updates and only offers me 2 update which it them fails to instal. The message received is as follows:
The following updates have not installed: Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service(BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP5.1(KB842773)
The PC then locked up and I had to reboot. On returning to the link the following message was displayed "Microsoft Update could not be installed on your computer." and it then suggests that I log on as an Administrator (I'm not sure how to do this)
I've trawled through the various Microsoft sites for several hours and have found reference to an all inclusive XP SP3 but have not been able to locate and download this.Many of the Microsoft links take me to "dead" pages. Any suggestions please.

Sea Urchin 17:14 26 Jan 2009

Here's a link to Windows Update

click here

Sea Urchin 17:15 26 Jan 2009

It seems MAJ's link was for Vista

ardeebee 09:17 27 Jan 2009

This link appears to take me to the same page as did the link from MAJ. Interestingly, attempting to use the MAJ link (click here) this morning resulted in a Zone Alarm warning that it led to a high risk website known to distribute spyware!!
It seems that wherever I visit within the Microsoft network, there is no solution available.
I've spent 2 days searching!!!

MAJ 09:32 27 Jan 2009

Do you have automatic updates turned on?

Make sure you have Automatic Updates turned on in Control Panel > Security Centre, don't set them to download at certain times, choose the "Download Updates For Me But Let Me Choose When To Install Them" option, click Apply and OK to exit.

Then try going to Start > All Programs > Windows Update, it should download all the updates you need, including SP3.

birdface 10:12 27 Jan 2009
  Taff™ 11:14 27 Jan 2009

I suggest you turn off Zone Alarm whilst you do the updates.

MAJ 11:38 27 Jan 2009

Taff™, why?

As ardeebee has no updates installed, only a bare XP install, that would be unwise.

beeuuem 11:55 27 Jan 2009

SP3 can be downloaded and saved from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?