Windows XP Safe Mode

johnincrete 07:10 08 May 2009

Could someone please explain what safe mode is and what it's for or tell me where I can read about it?
Thanks

Taff™ 07:59 08 May 2009

click here

click here

Basically it loads the OS with a minimal set of basic drivers and tools to enable troubleshooting. It is useful also when trying to get rid of active malware or virus infections by running removal programs. You should also run Disc Defragmentation in this mode.

john bunyan 12:23 08 May 2009

Also if you are worried that an installation will be interfered with by other software (anti virus etc) it is worth installing in safe mode. I had to do this with SP3, Radiotracker, and a recent Roxio 2009 update.Be careful the programme is clean though.

brundle 12:30 08 May 2009

Not all software will install in safe mode, the Windows Installer service which is required by some software won't be running. More common to temporarily disable resident AV to install software that needs access to low-level files (like graphics card drivers for example).

Pineman100 18:03 08 May 2009

It's also worth knowing that, if System Restore fails to work in normal mode, it will quite often work successfully in Safe Mode.

You just need to remember that a System Restore that's run in Safe Mode can't be undone.

johnincrete 16:08 13 May 2009

I'm happier now!

wilsenda 18:01 13 May 2009

Someone should explain to Johnincrete how to get his PC into safe mode - it's a bit tricky and I'm not sure I remember the procedure!

Artleyb.

Pineman100 13:29 14 May 2009

Switch on the computer and immediately start tapping away at the F8 key. Keep doing so until you get the startup options menu.

On that menu, one of the choices will be Safe Mode. Use the up and down cursor keys to select it, then hit Enter.

Wait while loads of stuff scrolls across the screen, until eventually (and it can take a long time) you'll get a crude Windows desktop with the words "Safe Mode" in all four corners. A "Help" screen will also appear automatically, telling you about Safe Mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?