Windows XP Repair

DwainHicks 17:16 27 Jun 2009

Hi
I have been trying to re install windows XP Home edition on my computer
my system didnot come with a copy of XP on disk it was pre installed and I was unable to use system restore in the Tools section.
So I bought a OEM version of Windows XP Home Edition SP3.
I have followed the instructions to boot the computer from CD and and went through the options for using the restore a previously installed version of Windows XP.
About a third of the way into the instalation a window popped up asking for the file VIAAGPI.SYS on VIA AGP FILTER DRIVER DISK IS NEEDED,
(this is a driver for the AGP slot) with the option to type the file path or browse for the file but could not find it so I just clicked on skip the instalation continued and the system rebooted but all that came up was the message you must register this version of Windows with microsoft YES or NO which ever choise I make I will either get to the User logon page or just my desktop wallpaper no Icons just the wallpaper.
I did a google search and found this is a common problem when repairing Windows XP. I found the driver online and put it on a floppy disk.
I started the repair from the start and when the window popped up asking for the VIAAGPI.SYS driver I installed it from the floppy drive.
The windows installation accepted it and continued installing Windows XP and rebooted my system to complete the instalation.
When it rebooted the Windows XP screen comes up with the message please wait... and then stops. the mouse curser is in the shape of a hour glass and I can move the curser around the screen but no login screen or Desktop comes on.
Thx

T I M B O 17:24 27 Jun 2009

This is a pretty good guide >> click here

Be sure to remove all partitions.

Curio 19:19 27 Jun 2009

As you now have a disc, you may be able to do a repair and not lose your data using click here. Have a read, I have successfullly used it on an HP Laptop.

DwainHicks 09:19 28 Jun 2009

Hi
Thanks for the reply
That is the exact site I`m using for the repair but after following the instructions on it my system stops / hangs at screen 16 with the wait... message I let it run for about 4 hours but the repair would not complete.
Could a possible solution be as I don`t want to loose the data on the master drive be.
Buyiny a new hard drive installing XP on that setting the new drive as the master and setting my old drive as the slave drive would I be able to access the data on it.

Thx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?