WINDOWS XP Re-install problem

johnpalmer 07:09 28 Aug 2006

I am trying to reinstall Windows XP Home, as my system restore has stopped working (it is turned on by the way).

I insert the operating system CD, and when the CD window opens on the desktop I press re-install.

I then select "upgrade (recommended)" so that I can keep my existing software and files etc.

On the first re-boot, a message appears saying, "can't find your system CD make sure it is correctly inserted"

How can this happen when the system CD is still in the same slot which started the re-install in the first place.

Any help gratefully received.

STREETWORK 07:20 28 Aug 2006

Set your bios to boot from the CD drive and make sure your XP CD is in the CD drive. You will be prompted to press any key to boot from CD, press the 'any key'. Watch the lower part of the screen (it is a status bar) and at the prompt press the required key for Automated System Recovery and follow the prompts. This program will scan your system and source the required files from the CD. It will then advise a restart and automatically reconfigure the system files on the reboot.

If you miss the ASR prompt it will automatically start loading the setup files for installing XP.

rawprawn 08:25 28 Aug 2006

click here for full instructions. A good idea is to print them off before you start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017