Windows XP PRO.SP2 DCOM Errors

Tony W. 15:49 25 Apr 2008

Because of the success-on this forum in resolving the problem in my previous post(Which during the past two months the computers supplier was unable to answer)I will try my luck again.I have Windows XP Pro.SP2.In the error log there are lots of errors (about 15 a day)which read;The wide machine default and activation descriptor are
invalid therefore the requested action was not performed.This security permission can be corrected using the components services Administrative tool.
Can anybody tell me what these permissions should be and how I get to the above mentioned tool to put the correct ones in.Many thanks,Tony W.

Ditch999 17:10 25 Apr 2008

Without more info it will be hard to say. Is this at startup, is it when you run a certain programme, is it when you log on. In the Error Log? Which one?

Tony W. 17:37 25 Apr 2008

Ditch999.
The errors appear in the error log just after I have logged on.The only thing I have then is the desktop and no other programmes running apart from the Anti virus.Thank you.

Ditch999 17:48 25 Apr 2008

Right click My Computer > Manage then select Event Viewer and look through the Application and System logs to find the same entry, either by name or date and time. Double click the Error on the right pane and post back with the Source, Event ID and Description.

Tony W. 19:58 25 Apr 2008

To Ditch999

This is what it says in the System error section.
Event Source-DCOM
Catagory-None
User-N/A
No description
Computer-Tony

Tony W. 20:01 25 Apr 2008

To Ditch

Sorry forgot this bit;
Event ID-10020.

Ashrich 21:29 25 Apr 2008

If you do a Google for DCOM 10020 , see just how many hits it comes back with .......

Ashley

Tony W. 21:41 25 Apr 2008

Dear Ashley

I did what you suggested and there are pages of them. Thanks I will slowly work my way through them and report back.Tony.

Ditch999 23:20 25 Apr 2008

Try going in to msconfig > services, tick hide all microsoft services and disable one startup item at a time until you no longer get the error. That should tell you what service is causing the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?