Windows +XP Professional

setanta23 18:31 18 Dec 2004

I have 2 boys and they use my system. Spent a weekend away and on coming back discovered that neither my CD drive nor the DVD drive work. When i insert a disc it finishes up that when i go into task manager to find out what is happening i find that even windows explorer is not responding. i have to assume that i have been "hit" in my absence by some of the chat rooms my kids have been into.

initially i thought no probs as i just re install xp but then it suddenly dawned on me that i bloody cannot as i have it on cd and the drives do not work.

i have run the usual checks - spyware and virus - and they come up clean.

HELP

any ideas

stalion 18:52 18 Dec 2004

Have you tried restore?

alan227 18:52 18 Dec 2004

Have you tried a system restore from safe mode?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 18 Dec 2004

No CD/DVD
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If if doubt make a restore point before making changes.

or

REpair XP
click here

alan227 19:04 18 Dec 2004

Fruitbat if he has no cd/dvd drives he cannot do a repair install.

Kegger 19:08 18 Dec 2004

setanta23
have you checked the cable hasnt come loose on the motherboard, one drive fail whilst you are away i could live with but both?

setanta23 18:56 19 Dec 2004

The optical drives all show when i check control panel and worse tell me that they are working correctly.

I have tried restore and that does not work either

the cd drive seems to have a life of its own at the moment and the cd seems to spring into life at odd moments.

i have also checked for viruses etc

so am still confused and bewildered

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?