Windows XP problems

Tigertops 10:22 24 Jul 2007

This is a complicated tale of woe so please bear with me--and prepare for some serious head scratching!

I had a start up problem on Windows XP I could download sofware but installing it from CD's or DVDs resulted in Start Up failures usually but not always resolved by 'Restore' I decided to use the Windows Repair option . All went well until the 'Installation' of all the XP Security updates , (Yes my Security systems were all disabled for this) I got a message saying 'something on your PC is preventing the Installation' When I go to 'Shut Down' it tries to install Windows XP update 1, fails, and the PC shuts down. Should I give up and go for a full XP reinstall? All my stuff is saved to an external hard disc anyway but I wonder if some sort of software conflict from installed hardware will still affect even a reinstall. The only other clue is now my CD and 2 DVD players won't run with CDs/DVDs and the screen freezes.

Well I did say it was complicated! Its an OEM XP CD so it would cost £40plus to seek advice from Microsoft! Help Please!

Andy1991 10:35 24 Jul 2007

Many have complain about reinstalling completely from an OEM, because of its licensing. U may be lucky though. The freezing problem independently could be faulty RAM, use trial and error taking each RAM Module out then seeing if the system freezes. The 2 DVD/CD Players may have Driver problem, like they are not installed, they are not there, or they may be corrupt which may cause crashes.

What security update is it?

Tigertops 12:32 24 Jul 2007

Andy,
It is all 77 Windows XP updates. I know they are downloaded but they won't install. I think I will bite the bullet and do a full reinstall. I built this PC so am confident everything inside is firmly connected--and it worked perfectly until recently--no particular thing I can finger re the cause. Got my 3 Cd/DVD drives to work so at least I can load the windows disc.

Tigertops 21:12 27 Jul 2007

Reinstalled Windows and traced the fault to a Logicam Webcam CD. All now OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?