Windows XP Problem

I,Me and Myself 10:25 19 Jul 2006

Tried to use PC this morning but just getting a black screen with a blue and white requesting a username and password. What is this? I have not set a password and what username is it asking for? Is it the one I called my User Account?

MAJ 10:33 19 Jul 2006

Try tapping the F8 key while your computer is restarting, that should bring up the start-up menu with a few options displayed, choose the "Last known good configuration" option, see if it then boots normally.

Sethhaniel 10:40 19 Jul 2006

Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the user account from the list (to which account you want to automatically logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete the process.

For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive a restrictions error.

sue-221294 10:56 19 Jul 2006

when i start the computer i et a list of users and next to one always a message saying i have 1 or 2 unread emails. this i know is not the case as i have read them.

VoG II 11:00 19 Jul 2006

You should have started your own thread but click here anyway.

I,Me and Myself 11:17 19 Jul 2006

Turned off PC and turned on again and got the desktop straight away with no problems.

So can anyone tell me why the PC decided to request a username and password in the first place and what I can do to stop this happening again?

Pamy 11:20 19 Jul 2006

thats computers for you

VoG II 11:22 19 Jul 2006
  I,Me and Myself 17:26 21 Jul 2006

Thanks.

sue-221294 23:02 13 Aug 2006

i use windows XP home can anyone tell me how to install pinball, minesweeper,free cell,as these have disapeared. i used to click start then accessories games i have no games at all now.

Totally-braindead 23:06 13 Aug 2006

suejac start your own question do not post in someone elses as they will get an email everytime someone types in anything and of course the answer to your question is nothing to do with I,Me and Myselfs question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?