Windows XP Pro Unusual problem

peterleemaxwell 22:41 13 Apr 2007

Windows starts slow but eventually after an age loads the desktop plus icons but no taskbar. When the windows key is pressed on the keyboard nothing happens. There at the bottom of the screen nothing. I can gain via the 'My Computer' icon and so entry to the folders and the windows system. Is there anyway I can get to 'system restore' via this way?. With no taskbar there is no 'start' or 'run' nothing. Any help appreciated.

I am Spartacus 22:44 13 Apr 2007

Is it possible the taskbar has been se to auto hide. Move your cursor to the bottom of the screen and if it pops up then right click on properties and take the tick out of Auto Hide.

peterleemaxwell 22:51 13 Apr 2007

Hi I am Spartacus,
Tried that and nothing 'pops' up. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am Spartacus 23:01 13 Apr 2007

Press F1

lotvic 23:04 13 Apr 2007

tool that solve the problems with the taskbar on the following site: Taskbar Repair Tool Plus > click here

first read this to see if it sounds familiar click here

peterleemaxwell 23:13 13 Apr 2007

Thanks to you both. I'll give your suggestions a go.

woodchip 23:17 13 Apr 2007

Also look to see if it's the same in safe mode keep tapping f8 as computer starts, you can restore in safe mode if you can get at it

peterleemaxwell 23:18 13 Apr 2007

Tried that woodchip, Just the same.

woodchip 23:19 13 Apr 2007

What about last known good configuration?

peterleemaxwell 23:23 13 Apr 2007

Everything is 'stuck' at the moment. I think it may mean a re-install.

woodchip 23:29 13 Apr 2007

If you have full XP disc you could do a repair. This is one of those times you could have done with a Acronis Image to put back on. About 10 to 15 minutes to reload it all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017