Windows XP Pro stops responding for no reason

Shark boy 19:00 08 Apr 2009

Hi everyone,

My grandad has a PC which should (judging by the components) run very fast. It only has a few programs installed and it usually runs at a good speed. However, it sometimes, usually just after the windows xp welcome screen, slows up completely to the point of being unusable. Under these conditions, the computer can't be shut down via the start menu and cannot be turned off by the on/off switch on the front of the box. Surely this should bypass Windows altogether and just block off power from the Power Supply Unit? The OS has been reinstalled once, and if possible, can we avoid this again?

On my next thread I will publish details about the computer's specifications and software installed.

Any advice given will be brilliant,
Thanks a lot,
SB

Shark boy 19:06 08 Apr 2009

Here are the specs:-

DVD Writer - Philips DVD+-R/RW 1gx IDE
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket939
Hard drive - Diamondmax 250 gigabytes
Heatsink - AMD Approved
Memory - 512MB DDR 400 RAM
Motherboard - asrock 939a8x-m
Video Card - ATI 9200SE With TV Out
Network card - On-board 10/100MB
Floppy Disk Drive - 1.44 FD Drive

In my next thread I will state the software that is installed at present (08th April 2009 at 19:06)

Any suggestions will be brilliant,

Thanks!

SB

Shark boy 19:11 08 Apr 2009

Software installed at present:-

PC Tools Internet Security 2009
Microsoft Access 2000
Microsoft Excel 2000
Microsoft PowerPoint 2000
Microsoft Word 2000
Trusteer Rapport
Internet Explorer 7
HP PhotoSmart Essential
HP PhotoSmart Express
CPU Speed Professional
Adobve Reader version 9
Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 2003
DivX Codec Pack

Any suggestions will be brilliant,

Thanks,

SB

lotvic 22:42 08 Apr 2009

Memory - 512MB
Put some more ram in - another stick at least to make it up to 1Gb

Also it sounds as if the antivirus program is running a full scan of the hard drive at start up.
Go into the program and untick that option.

DieSse 23:43 08 Apr 2009

The on/off button on the front of the system does not of itself turn off the power.

Look in the Control Panel under Power Options - Advanced.

It's actions are controlled in two ways - one via Windows, which asks what you want to happen when it's pressed - the other via the BIOS which can give it instant action, or a 4 second delay on action.

The normal settings mean you need to press the power button for at least 4-6 seconds to switch off the system - try it.

DieSse 23:48 08 Apr 2009

Windows is quite slow at starting up, when configured with normal security software. And HP software in particular seems to add greatly to the slowness in my experience.

If you wait for a few minutes after switch-on, does everything then get back to regular speeds - all the systems I know (quite a large number) act pretty much that way.

It doesn't have a huge amount of RAM to hit the "sweet-spot" for XP performance, too - as mentioned above - adding another 500MB would probably help.

Shark boy 08:17 09 Apr 2009

After a couple of minutes, if the computer starts up normally, it runs fine.

Shark boy 09:59 10 Apr 2009

Thanks a bunch you lot! The PC is so much faster since that RAM had been made up to 1024MB (that's 1GB) and it is running like a dream. My Grandad is so much happier! I am only 12 years old when I am posting this. How can I ever repay you?
/\ /\
'
---

kidsis 19:25 10 Apr 2009

just a suggestion, but there is a newer version of Adobe Reader than you have and I would advise upgrading. To do so you have to go to the Adobe site for the uninstall tool, and after uninstalling 9 download Adobe 10 (from eg File Hippo site). It was updated due to a security issue.

kidsis 19:27 10 Apr 2009

EDIT - I must be going daft in my old age, of course the Adobe 9 is the latest: I've been zipping around so much today that I don't think my head has settled yet! roll on tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017