Windows xp pro reinstallation

heidelberg 20:44 13 Apr 2007

If anyone could recommend where to find any general but fairly detailed advice and tips on Windows xp pro reinstallation it would be greatly appreciated - such things as what needs to be done and the order in which to do them!

It is several years since I undertook this task, and that was on my previous PC. There seems to be so much more to do nowadays, and the old grey matter is not as sharp as it used to be!

In fact what would be really useful would be the "idiots guide to Windows xp pro reinstallation" if such a thing were to exist.

Thanks

Dave

VoG II 22:21 13 Apr 2007

Assuming that you have a backup of everything click here

heidelberg 05:42 14 Apr 2007

Thanks VoG™ - I had seen that suggestion you made already. If I am honest the reinstallation, along with use of backups of data, favourites, email etc. is probably not too much of a problem - it is the drivers that I am not too sure about, at least having the most up to date one easily available. I also want to reinstall the software I use.

Dave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:21 14 Apr 2007

Back up your drivers
click here

heidelberg 16:34 14 Apr 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ - have done so using Driver Genius.

I am still rather wary as there is so much more involved than last time I reinstalled, which was about 3 years ago.

For example I have just come across the suggestion that I need to preserve OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP. Mine is an OEM installation, the company I purchased from supplied the installation disk (not recovery disk) and the product key sticker is on the side of the PC. Does anyone know anything about this?

Dave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 14 Apr 2007

Users who reformat their hard drive and perform a clean installation of the operating system will find that they need to reactivate the product. But, as long as the new installation is on the same system and there won't be any hardware changes it is possible to transfer the existing product activation and skip having to go through the product activation process again. Follow the steps below to save the activation status information and restore it once your system is rebuilt:

1. Double-click My Computer
2. Double-click on the "C" drive
3. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
4. Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.
5. After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process
6. Reboot your computer into SafeMode (you can either press F8 as Windows is booting up to see the Windows Advanced Options menu and select SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal or follow the instructions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode
7. Double-click My Computer
8. Double-click on the "C" drive
9. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
10. Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new"
11. Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder
12. Restart your system (if you followed the directions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode you may need to go back into MSCONFIG to turn off booting into SafeMode)

Voila! Your Windows XP operating system is now reinstalled on your reformatted hard drive and you are all activated without having to actually go through the product activation process!

Remember though. This won't work for transferring activation information from one computer to another or if you alter the hardware because the information contained in your "wpa.dbl" file will not match the configuration of the computer. This trick is only for reinstalling Windows XP on the exact same computer after formatting the hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017