Windows XP Pro dual boot with Linux Mint Olivia

swapper 08:48 09 Oct 2013

I am tearing my hair out. I installed Linux Mint Olivia as a Dual Boot with Win xp pro., I like it, but my HD is very small, I therefore want to remove it to another Drive later. I have scoured the internet (I think) but cannot get a straight answer about how to, it has been suggested that the best way is to use the Recovery option on the Windows disc. My XP Pro is an upgrade from XP Home, should I use the "Home" CD, if so, how should I go about removing this Linux. Thank you very much.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:38 09 Oct 2013

Open the Control Panel, and locate Mint in the list of installed programs.

Uninstall it like you would any other program and the uninstaller will automatically remove the Mint files and boot loader entry from your computer.

swapper 16:32 09 Oct 2013

FruitBat/\0/\,

Thank you for your response. Linux is not "inside" windows, its alongside, hence tthe Dual Boot option on start up. When I installed Linux, it took space from "C" drive and made a seperate Partition, I have read that I need to remove the "GRUB" menue at the start, suggesting amongst others that I do this by using the Recovery option on the Windows Disk, but I am not sure which disk. As I said, My XP Pro is an upgrade from XP Home, should I use the original "Home Edition" CD, if so, how should I go about removing this Linux?

Thankfgs again.

LastChip 19:14 09 Oct 2013

From what you describe, almost certainly the Linux boot loader (probably GRUB), has taken control of the boot partition.

Use your XP disc to reinstate the Windows MBR, (see here), and you should be able to boot into XP normally.

Now simply delete all the Linux folders and files on your hard drive. I say simply, but you may have a problem with that depending on how Linux was installed and which file system you told it to use. If it's FAT32 or NTFS, it won't be a problem. But if Linux created it's own partition and used (maybe) ext3, Windows won't be able to see it. You can overcome that by booting the computer with a live DVD and using it to delete the Linux folders on the hard drive.

When you reinstall to a separate drive, make sure you understand how Linux defines hard drives. If you need any further help on that, just ask.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 09 Oct 2013

Xp is unlikely to have a recovery partition. you need a full XP CD to be able to get into recovery console

Start by using disk management to remove the linux partition, once done you will not be able to boot back into windows.

Boot into recovery console from a XP CD or a Bootable Repair CD such as Ultimate Boot CD

At command prompt type fixmbr press enter, type exit to exit recovery console

Reboot without CD and it should boot to windows

Back to disk management and you will find unallocated space on the drive, choose new partition select the full size and windows will format it and the space will then be available to windows as a separate partition.

To merge the partition with you C drive you will need a third pary patition manage as XP cannot do this.

1]: [click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 09 Oct 2013

Must type faster!!

swapper 19:45 09 Oct 2013

Thank you both, I'll digest what you have told me (probably take a week), but I will come back.

Thank you again.

swapper 17:34 11 Oct 2013

Well guys (and/or dolls?),

I did as you suggested, used the windows recovery disk, it went like a dream so I'm now back to windos only on boot up. Thank you. I downloaded the .iso as advised. Now I am lost. The CD boots and opens o.k., I stumbled through and opened "Parted Magic", and the "Partition Editor", the HD is 111.79gb and I could see two partitions

1. /dev/sda1 58.94gb (this has my Windows on it).
  2. Unallocated 52.85gb (where my Linux was).

On trying to "Resize or move" I adjusted up the Partion to over 111Gb shrinking the "Unallocated" drive, but when I tried to apply it, it clunked its way back to the original sizes. The "Help" option is online and I cannot get to it. Any idea what I am doing wrong please?

Thank you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 11 Oct 2013

Personally I would just use windows to format it and use as a separate partition.

Often better to keep documents etc. separate from the op system. Mine on a different physical drive just in case of windows screw ups.

swapper 22:43 11 Oct 2013

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

I already have another physical drive and use it as you do,but you are right, I'll just format the partition and find a use for it. Thank you, and others for your help again. I'll call this resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)