WIndows XP PC stuck in constant boot loop?

Tinkey Winkey 10:09 16 Nov 2010

Well I've tried everything I know of and don't know what to do next?

PC starts and gets as far as the windows xp loading bar screen then restarts itself.
Things I have tried:

1- All Safe Mode options but just PC reboots as before.

2- Recovery console but PC reeboots.

3- I have taken the HDD out and attached it to another PC & scanned for viruses, ok.
I checked the hdd for errors: "auto fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" passed ok.
I can access the data on the hdd ok, so as far as I can tell the hdd is ok.

4- Put the hdd back into original PC and loaded default BIOS - still just reeboots. Manually cleared the CMOS, no joy.

5- Tried using just 1 RAM stick alternately in both slots, no joy.

6- Bios HW monitor shows the CPU temp as 84 degrees! Intel Pentium E5200 should be 30-72 degrees I believe, so I took off the HSF and cleaned the cpu and HSF. Reaplied paste, reseated the HSF. BIOS temp now shows 56 degrees, but PC is still stuck in boot loop!

Any ideas please?
(Will be back at around 7pm tonight)

birdface 10:13 16 Nov 2010

Maybe the power supply then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:29 16 Nov 2010

"PC starts and gets as far as the windows xp loading bar screen then restarts itself"

Usually a driver problem but as it doesn't start in safe mode either then I think you need to do a repair install from an XP CD.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Tinkey Winkey 23:37 16 Nov 2010

Thanks for your suggestions.
Great to hear from you again Fruit Bat /\0/\!

I have previously repaired XP by installing over the top of existing installation (on another PC) and decided to try that as Fruit Bat suggested.

Attached the HDD to my other PC first to back up documents etc in case of disaster.
On boot up windows scanned the drive and fixed a load of files. Backed up the data then reatached it to the original PC.

Fortunately I was able to boot into windows so didn't need to reinstall after all.

I am now checking over the PC just to be sure there are no more problems.

Thanks again.

Tinkey Winkey 23:39 16 Nov 2010

(Will tick the resolved box after testing.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone