Windows XP Password Retrieval

10x 19:09 09 Oct 2007

I have attempted, for the first time ever, to boot my computer from the Windows XP Home CD, hoping to be able to effect a repair to my Windows Explorer. I was eventually asked for the 'Administrator Password', which I do not know. It is a stand-a-lone PC, used only by me. When I bought it, I simply plugged it in and started using it. I was not asked for any password then or since.

Does anyone know of a way of determining what the password is, or of any 'work-around' ?

Regards everyone

10X

Technotiger 19:22 09 Oct 2007

When asked for the 'non-existant' password, simply press Return - it may then continue as normal.

Or try Admin or admin as the password.

esbe 23:09 09 Oct 2007

try this freebie - scroll down to 'Secrets'

SIW v 1.70

click here

cheers.

gardener 23:32 09 Oct 2007

As far as I'm aware you can't access the recovery console to repair an XP installation without a password. I didn't enter a password on my original installation and I had the same problem. Luckily I had made a disk image using Acronis True Image, an invaluable program.

Unless you can use a third party repair tool (if there is one), I think a reformat is your only option. Someone may be able to prove me wrong hopefully.If you have data on the drive you could invest in a second hard drive and install the problem drive as a slave. You should then be able to move your data (not the OS) across to the new drive

I would suggest that when you're up and running again with all updates and drivers installed make a disk image using Acronis, it's a life-saver.

gardener 00:15 10 Oct 2007

I may be wrong in my previous post. On the Microsoft website, when asked for a password just press enter. It didn't work for me though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?