windows xp oem.

jay.p 02:02 19 Jan 2007

if i purchase an oem version of xp home will i be able to reformat my pc or change my mother board e.t.c and still use the same license or will i have to purchase another disc.
also what is the difference to a genuine? microsoft edition.( if thats the right phrase.)

sean-278262 04:32 19 Jan 2007

OEM means only able to be used on one machine. Changes such as a completely new motherboard generally mean buying a new version of windows. However it depends on the rep on the phone as to if they make you get a new version or not. Usually calling microsoft a few times once it asks for you to call them about it will get it sorted. Alternatively I have heard of people saying to them that all that has happened is the addition of a new hard drive has brought this message up for no reason.

Not really what you are meant to do. But I always took it that as long as over 50% of the computer was still there ie ram, hard drive, case etc then it should still be the same computer. Motherboards fail and need replacement.

There is no difference in the versions bar that the full version you can install on another PC. But only have one copy of the OS. But it is transferable to new PCs you may get. Useful if you buy a new PC often to replace an older one but OEM is generally sold to the likes of Dell PC users.

PC Bilbo 08:49 19 Jan 2007

I agree with Creature of the Night regarding changing the mobo with OEM copy of XP, it rather depends
on the individual at Microsoft you speak to.

I contend that if you replace an original motherboard
due to it's failing and that all other parts are unchanged this is a repair and not a new machine.

I raised this point in a face to face discussion with
2 Microsoft representatives before one of their seminars I attended. Interestingly the UK man said a
new license would be needed but the American thought I had a valid point but maybe this was after I introduced Linux into the conversation.

jay.p 13:55 19 Jan 2007

thanks guys.
just needed to know where i stand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone