Windows XP not shutting down fully.

betty_boo48 10:12 21 Sep 2003

I have an AMD-K6 (tm) 3D PROCESSOR....400mhz....128ram pc and I have installed windows xp professional, all appears to have gone well, I have installed service pack 1 and numerous software applications. When I tried to shut down I noticed all appeared to be going as normal until after the screen saying windows is shutting down, it then comes up with a screen saying "It is now safe to turn off your computer". I have been turning off the power at the wall power socket this at the moment is my only method of completely finalising the total shut down. I wonder if anyone can suggest a remedy and if this is not possible am I causing damage by unplugging the power in this way because when i return and power up again everything loads correctly.

MAJ 10:31 21 Sep 2003

Go to Control Panel > Power Options > APM tab and tick the little box which says, "Enable Advanced Power Management Support". That should completely power-down your PC at shutdown, betty_boo.

betty_boo48 10:44 21 Sep 2003

MAJ..............Problem resolved, words cannot convey my heartfelt thanks...........betty_boo

MAJ 10:46 21 Sep 2003

Happy to help, betty_boo. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?