Windows XP not loading -

ingatestonian 17:22 29 Sep 2008

I'd be grateful for any advice on getting my son's Acer laptop to load. We had Norton 360 but last Friday received renewal notice asking for £54 and also email from Virgin, our ISP, saying anti virus was free with Broadband. So we downloaded their program and within 24 hours it said there was a virus and shut down. On another thread I read that two anti virus software programmes could be a problem so perhaps I should have deleted Norton first.

At present I get screen giving options to load normally, safe mode etc, then XP screen with blue bar suggesting loading. After that the screen reverts to the manufacturers screen. Although the screen is not frozen there is nowhere further to go.

On trying safe mode the screen ends up as a black screen with one line of type at the top.

I tried with XP disk in drive and the PC went into disk check mode but after completing still ended up at Acer screen.

Any ideas on how to get loaded - Thanks for any help.

Clapton is God 17:29 29 Sep 2008

"So we downloaded their program"

But did you uninstall Norton first before installing Virgin's AV?

ingatestonian 17:45 29 Sep 2008

Sadly, no.

ingatestonian 21:53 29 Sep 2008

Has anyone got any ideas on how to load this PC, or is the problem fatal?

woodchip 21:59 29 Sep 2008

You need to uninstall Norton click here

woodchip 22:01 29 Sep 2008

PS do another scan after running the above tool

ingatestonian 09:28 30 Sep 2008

Thanks woodchip but any ideas on how to get PC to load in order to do this. At the moment I can't even get it to load in safe mode.

brundle 09:37 30 Sep 2008

Repair XP click here

Don't bother with PCGuard, not very good at its job. Better freebies available; AVG,Avast,Antivir for antivirus (only one installed at a time).Coupled with an antispyware application or two and perhaps Comodo. All free click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?