Windows XP not Booting - Corrupted Registry?

BlueMeanie 20:54 10 Jan 2004

Hi

History - Windows XP Pro machine was working AOK, left for some minutes, but on return was on a boot-up screen.

When the machine now powers on, goes into a boot menu, but ALL options will not allow XP to boot (ie Safe mode, +network support, last known good boot-up, normal etc).

Safe mode attempts to bootup, loading of various drivers appear on the screen, but then reboots - no reasons given.

If the option NORMAL is selected then Windows XP logo appears but after a minute it will reboot. HOWEVER a "blue screen of death" appears for a split second and the few words that we think appear are Registry, Memory, Corrupted, Administrator....actually several line of text are displayed.

We have tried the Windows Recovery console via boot up disks, but to no avail....ie fixboot, chkdsk /r

Any ideas anyone - thanks in advance.

Big Elf 21:00 10 Jan 2004

Have you got important data on the disk? If not then my suggeston would be to try a format and reinstall.

If you have then get another disk and install XP to that and set-up the old one as a slave to try to recover the data.

VoG II 21:04 10 Jan 2004

Right click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

Then post here the error message.

BlueMeanie 21:25 10 Jan 2004

Machine is at my neighbours, and I will be calling again tomorrow.

Sorry VoG but the PC does not boot into Windows and I cannot action your suggestion.

I am still open to more suggestions ready for the next assault tomorrow.........

powerless 21:29 10 Jan 2004

click here - I think this one.

click here

Big Elf 21:32 10 Jan 2004

That's why I suggested the ultimate solution, with a potential backup opportunity.

Still wish I could spell though.

Big Elf 21:33 10 Jan 2004

Sorry Powerless I didn't refresh.

BlueMeanie 21:52 10 Jan 2004

Thanks Powerless, I will action the first Microsoft link suggestion tomorrow.

I had already found the second link but it did seem to be a last resort as it restores XP to the original installation (I hope !).

Big Elf, the machine does include important data - college work, so I hoping to restore..... and of course the ladies have no back ups!!

Thanks for the interest and responses so far

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?