Windows XP not booting

Noldi 19:37 14 Jan 2006

Can somebody please help me
I can not boot Windows XP, this problem started after a power cut. Windows starts with the logo then goes to a screen giving boot options (safe mode etc). After selecting a option it goes full circle back to this screen. BIOS has 4 options for boot 1 Removable device (Legacy Floopy), 2 IDE hard drive , 3 CD-Rom, 4 other boot devices (disabled). The floopy drive light flashes on boot but not the CD drive light, so it does not boot from the windows CD, my lap top has no floopy drive so I cant create a floopy boot disk. I have all data backed up so a new install would be a option.
Regards Noldi

VoG II 19:41 14 Jan 2006

Try a repair click here

woodchip 19:43 14 Jan 2006

Set BIOS to boot with CD asa first boot device IDE as second. then start with XP CD and follow this. click here To repair Windows

Noldi 19:54 14 Jan 2006

Thanks for that
but when I set it to boot from CD at the top of the boot list it gets to

boot from CD-ROM

No Emulation

?

Noldi

woodchip 20:38 14 Jan 2006

This may be that you may have Sata drives in your computer. So first Controller is for Sata. reset the BIOS and try starting with XP disc

Noldi 20:50 14 Jan 2006

I have managed to run the repair and it is still the same (Son walked in and got it to run straight away ?). At present I have reinstalled Windows it was getting slow on start up anyway. Thank you both for your help.
Regards Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?