Windows XP 'My Computer'

No Silver Spoon 21:46 08 Mar 2008

If I try to open up 'My Computer' (by right clicking and then taking the 'open' option), all I get is the torch searching - and showing nothing no matter how long I leave it. I can get to 'My Computer' when I save a Word or Excel file by using the up arrow to navigate through the various levels. When I do, all the drives are shown correctly. So I can save and open MS Office files, but I can't access it or use it any other way. However, if I try to do a back-up it doesn't recognise the external hard drive. Other than that, the PC seems to be running reasonable well. Can anyone please suggest something I could do?

citadel 21:50 08 Mar 2008

what happens when you select it from the start menu.

No Silver Spoon 21:57 08 Mar 2008

Exactly the same - just the torch searching and showing nothing

tullie 21:57 08 Mar 2008

What happens if you double click?

No Silver Spoon 22:07 08 Mar 2008

Exactly the same. I should add that the headings 'System Tasks' 'Other places' and 'Details' appear (with their contents) briefly on the left and then they disappear leaving a white box with the torch in the middle and a windows folder that fades in and out. The taskbar and the other two headings are still there though

skidzy 22:15 08 Mar 2008

Have you ran any registry cleaners ? if so,reinstall the backup if you created one.

Alternatively,system restore ?

Jak_1 22:15 08 Mar 2008

Does the same thing happen from windows explorer?

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer

Sea Urchin 22:25 08 Mar 2008

And what about Windows key + E?

No Silver Spoon 22:28 08 Mar 2008

I haven't run any registry cleaners - haven't tried a system restore yet.
I tried to take the Windows explorer route and got to 'My Documents' - showing all the folders I would expect to see. I then just tried the up arrow and it's frozen (with the hourglass running)and I have a blank white box on the left and some desktop icons on the right.

No Silver Spoon 22:31 08 Mar 2008

The windows key + E gets me to My Computer with the box on the left showing Desktop and my computer, but the box on the right is the torch and the file again

No Silver Spoon 23:04 08 Mar 2008

Signing off for now - will try system restore in the morning and see if anyone has any other ideas - thanks for your help so far

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?