Windows XP missing files

pj1664 09:15 28 Oct 2006

Hi guys, i run SFC/Scannow and found some missing files but I was not supplied with a window xp cd when i purchased my laptop, VoG suggested that I could use any windows xp cd to replace the missing files, so i did and it seems to do the scan without any hicups assuming it loaded the required files during the scan. This morning i tried to run the scan again to check if all win xp files were intact this time without the xp cd and the same message came up "please insert your win xp cd to load missing files to DLL Cache". I am confused if i loaded the cd up for the required files last night. shouldn't the files be in the system?

Pamy 09:26 28 Oct 2006

I would run CHKDSK /F this should fix any problems.

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:06 28 Oct 2006

If you have SP2 then you may need a SP2 disc to do the operation. If you get one you can copy the I386 folder to your C (or whatever) drive and point to it in the registry. instructions here.
click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:12 28 Oct 2006

Should be able to use any XP disc now I look at it again

pj1664 16:01 28 Oct 2006

Just a tought, can i actually use my desktop xp cd to repair windows during boot up for my laptop or will this infringe any microsoft licenceing law.

pj1664 16:02 28 Oct 2006

I have tried using my desktop xp cd for sfc and seems to work fine at the time during sfc but this morning i tried running sfc again but it was asking for missing files from the cd.

Stuartli 16:17 28 Oct 2006

Just a thought. Do you have two optical drives, for instance a ROM drive and a rewriter?

If so the Master drive (normally the rewriter) will be the D drive; the ROM will be E.

pj1664 18:08 28 Oct 2006

No I only have 1 cd rom/writer drive which is my D DRIVE.

murken 18:23 28 Oct 2006

I have Windows XP Media Edition and my computer is relatively new using the new duo core processors. The computer keeps on crashing and we don't know the problem, according to the PC it could be anything. what should I do?

pj1664 18:31 28 Oct 2006

Murken, I think you need to start a new topic as this subject "window xp missing files" is not relevent to you topic. You might get more feed back if you address your topic as a seprate issue.

Pineman100 18:31 28 Oct 2006

It's best if you start your own new thread, and leave this one to Jeet's problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?