Windows XP Messenger and the newer Download

Giggle n' Bits 21:09 12 Feb 2006

Ok, Windows XP Home has Microsoft Messenger the little green man thing in the system tray near the clock by default and this messenger is also a older version.

So what I would like to know is, I intend to download the newer messenger from the msn link which I think is v7.x but are you suppose to uninstall the windows XP Home Default Msngr or just install the newer version over the top please.

Also I have 4 users already set-up on the computer, all a classed as computer amdministrators, do I have to install the messenger 4 times or just once ?

Thanks in advance

Skyver 23:08 12 Feb 2006

The version of Messenger you already have is Windows Messenger, you need it installed if you want to use Remote Assistance. /MSN/ Messenger is a different product, just install it and it will run independently of Windows Messenger. To stop Windows Messenger loading at startup read this; click here

Skyver 23:09 12 Feb 2006

You only need to install it once as far as I know.

Giggle n' Bits 23:18 12 Feb 2006

I always thought that little green thing in the Sys tray near the clock was the Windows online chat messenger thing. I have seen where if you download the messenger from msn link this first one goes away and on occassions I have seen it not go away and there be 2.

Reading the link to M8's Skyver. Thanks Skyver.

igk 20:32 15 Feb 2006

In your original post you are correct that is Microsoft Messenger that you see in your taskbar near the clock and that is the one that you can upgrade there is no facility to uninstal the old version so I assume that it will upgrade itself after you have downloaded the new version (I say assume as I never use it as it is a known security hazard if you must use it make sure that your antivirus software can take care of scanning online messages)also you should only need to do this once regardless of how many user accounts you have.
Skyver is refering to "Windows Messenger" which is used by networks to send files/messages to other computers on its network a different thing altogether and should be disabled as it is also a security risk.I believe this is disabled as default in service pack 2 but not in service pack 1.
Hope this helps...

Skyver 20:33 15 Feb 2006

You mean Windows Messenger service, Windows Messenger is not the same thing.click here

Giggle n' Bits 21:10 15 Feb 2006

interesting reading, added to my fav's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?