Windows XP Media Centre

rsedw 12:09 06 Sep 2006

I have a new Dell Dimension 9150 computer operating on Windows XP Media Centre.
My previous computer operated on Windows XP.
I have experienced numerous problems trying to install and use programs that operated well on my old computer when I have tried/put them onto my new computer.
This includes a Philips (Ipod type) MP3 player/hard disk. Philips tell me that they do not support Windows XP Media centre.
I am also being asked to load Windows XP Professional disk....does this mean that Windows XP Media centre is based on Windows XP Professional and the Media Centre is an addition to this?
I have not been supplied with any Windows disks with my computer...should I obtain them for future?

Belatucadrus 12:54 06 Sep 2006

Read the Dell instruction manual first, it could well give instructions as to how to create a Windows disk as some Dells have the OS backed up on a hidden partition with the facility to burn a copy to CD if you wish.
As to Windows Media Centre being XP with a few bits of interface flummery tacked on ? Correct.

anskyber 13:42 06 Sep 2006

Creating a Windows Disk for Dell click here

anskyber 13:49 06 Sep 2006

The Driver reset tool also "repairs" drivers but does not update them click here Interestingly I followed the creating a disk in the Dell link above and the create disk option was not there for me. I also have a 9150 but I rely upon Acronis True Image which copies everything including your OS for restore purposes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?