Windows XP mce - Forgotten password , need new PC

sannybear 07:54 02 Jan 2007

Hi , as title says I stupidly forgot my PW and all attempts to get back in as admin have failed . I am a guest on my own PC ! . I believe there is a programme I can d/l which can find my old password but yet again I`m frustrated because I have remnants of a prog. called Freshdownload - I get the message that freshdownload cannot take over the download and being a guest I can`t remove it ! . My hard drive is full and I`m unable to remove anything to free up space in any case .

I need a new PC anyway , but do I need an additional copy of XP or can I re-use my existing discs bearing in mind I have no password ? . Just looking to save a few £s if possible !

Cheers

Technotiger 08:02 02 Jan 2007

Hi, download and run this SIW ... it only take a minute or two. When running on your pc, scroll down to Secrets - you should then be able to your password(s).

click here

PaulB2005 08:04 02 Jan 2007

You need a new copy of XP if it is an OEM license.

Try this site - click here

Download the file and make the disk on a friends / relatives PC. Run it on your and submit the data back using your friend / relatives PC.

You'll get your password in 2-4 days. An hour if you pay £15

PaulB2005 08:06 02 Jan 2007

SIW - won't reveal the passwords sannybear needs. ie Windows login password.

Technotiger 08:06 02 Jan 2007

PS - in SIW under Licences you will also see your XP Key, and any other licences/keys for programs on your pc.

brundle 08:06 02 Jan 2007

Reset it for free
click here

PaulB2005 08:09 02 Jan 2007

NICE!!!

Ever tried it?

Miké 08:24 02 Jan 2007

Have you tried loging in frome safe mode? there is usually a password free admin account (unless you have disabled it).

Miké 08:31 02 Jan 2007

I must learn to type one day!

brundle 08:35 02 Jan 2007

Yes, works very well :)

sannybear 18:39 02 Jan 2007

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply . I`ve given up trying to download anything with this PC for the reasons stated ( just been trying for an hour , sooo annoying !) . I live in a remote area and no friends are into PCs so will wait now `til I get my new PC shortly .

This one I bought from PC World and I have the winXP discs , I also have the discs for my last PC from Mesh ( WinME ) . When configuring my new machine do I need to order a new OS or can I re-use an old one ?

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone