Windows XP keeps restarting after booting up..HELP

the waltons 10:19 18 Apr 2008

Morning all.

I appreciate this topic has been covered by various folk across various forums, but i'm not having much luck with the suggestions people are giving and am not exactly advanced when it comes to PC know-how.

Basically everytime i boot my PC up it gets to the desktop for about 5 seconds then restarts itself auotmatically. I can get into safe mode alright and have tried restoring old settings but to no avail. I also try and start it with the restart setting disabled but also to no avail. I have tried booting from my XP CD and running the repair function (which took ages) but still the system restarted itself.

Also, when i start it in safe mode i can't get online to access help/advice such as this and so am having to find stuff at work, print it off and try them out when i get home. It's all very annoying as you can imagine.

Occasionally when i'm trying to sort things in safe mode, i get the 'add printer' box for no apparent reason...dunno if this gives anyone a clue as to the problem...

Some folk i've spoken to have suggested maybe a hardware issue but i don't really know where to start with these and so would need some kind of step-by-step guide for checking hardware...

Sorry for being so useless, your advice is hugely appreciated.

Cheers
-Jon

skidzy 10:27 18 Apr 2008

If booting into safemode is ok,this maybe points to a driver issue.

First thing i would try;

Remove the keyboard (disconnect) does this boot ok ?

Remove any usb devices (disconnect) and try to boot the machine.

I strongly suggest if you can boot into safemode then run your anti's,a rebooting machine while trying to boot into windows can be the work of a Virus.

Try these tips and post back if no joy.

the waltons 10:32 18 Apr 2008

...cheers, i'll try removing the keys - there's no USBs connected at the minute.

I ran my antis already but nothing was found...the problem seemd to get worse when i tried to remove my ZoneAlarm firewall as it wouldn't let me uninstall. I looked this problem up online and folk suggested trying to uninstall it in safe mode. I tried this and still it didn't work. After this, things just got to where i am now...

skidzy 10:47 18 Apr 2008

There is a possibility that your MBR = Master Boot Record is corrupt,this can be fixed from the recovery console on the windows disc.

Though for now i would leave this but it is worth considering.

" you can boot from startup floppy disks or CD-ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXMBR command to fix MBR. "

Again you could try Revo uninstaller in safemode.

If ZA is the culprit here;
Download the uninstaller click here save and burn to disc from a working pc.

Now im unsure if this will load in safemode,but if it does ,try it to remove ZA.

Hopefully you have ccleaner click here installed on your problem computer,if so there is an uninstall section under tools.
Run this too if you can.

the waltons 10:59 18 Apr 2008

I'll try all these...

I ran the XP CD repair thingy...is that different to the FIXMBR you're talking about?

Cheers for all the help...!

DieSse 13:33 18 Apr 2008

Go to Settings - Control Panel - System - choose the Advanced tab - click on Startup and Recovery Settings button - untick Automatically restart.

This should mean, when you get the fault condition, you'll get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with an error message, instead of the restart.

Post the error message, and it may point us to what's going on.

DieSse 13:34 18 Apr 2008

Ah - on a reread I see you may have tried this - if you have, apologies.

DieSse 13:37 18 Apr 2008

Another approach is to use MSCONFIG (Start - Run - type msconfig in the run box) - and disable startup items.

You can do them all at once, or try in batches, to see if you can isolate something that's causing the restart.

Warning - if you're disabling your AV software, I suggest you unplug the system from the line whilst you're trying all this.

the waltons 13:41 18 Apr 2008

Cheers DieSse - i'll try this...

What do you mean by the last sentence? Audio Visual stuff?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 18 Apr 2008

What do you mean by the last sentence? Audio Visual stuff?

Anti Virus

the waltons 16:56 18 Apr 2008

D'oh!...jeez, check me out...!

Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?