Windows XP keeps on restarting.

robit 19:50 12 Sep 2006

Can someone help with this problem I have. Recently my pc gets to the Windows XP screen and then after a couple of seconds later it shuts down and restarts itself and then it asks if I want to start at the last known config etc, which after trying it still carries on restarting itself. The only way I've found to get to a normal startup is to use SafeMode and do a restart from there. One thing I,ve noticed is just before the Windows XP screen I see a White bar flash up at the bottom of the screen for a split second. I have not changed any hardware or added any software recently so I don't think that could be the problem. I have tried a system restore but that did not help and ran chkdsk with no problems. All the fans are working ok so its not a overheating problem. Any ideas someone.

Graham. 19:56 12 Sep 2006

Try booting with the XP CD in the drive, select Repair.

VoG II 19:57 12 Sep 2006

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery, click Settings. Under System Failure, untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

You may now get an error message instead of a reboot which may help track down the cause.

skidzy 19:57 12 Sep 2006

Once you have your normal startup,maybe trying system file checker. sfc /scannow click here

robit 13:33 13 Sep 2006

I don't really want to try repair just yet, without going down some other avenues first. Running sfc /scannow sounds like a good idea to try first and see what happens. I have already unticked Automatically restart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?