Windows XP Installation won't go to the GUI phase

nick125 11:20 18 Sep 2006

I've just installed a new hard drive, and wanted to install Windows XP on it. However, after the text-based setup phase, the computer reboots and begins the setup phase all over again. It should commence the graphical user interface phase at this point.

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

The computer is a Compaq Presario, and with sufficient memory to support Windows XP.

ArrGee 11:25 18 Sep 2006

Which model of Compaq Presario? Which version of XP are you installing?

nick125 11:40 18 Sep 2006

It's a 5VW255 - would this make a difference?

And it's XP home edition.

Input Overload 11:45 18 Sep 2006

When the coputer has re-booted for the first time in your BIOS change the first device to your hard drive that C:\ resides on.

Input Overload 11:46 18 Sep 2006

Oppps Computer :-)

nick125 20:22 18 Sep 2006

Well I thought this was my lucky day - I looked in the BIOS, and neither hard disk drive was listed, only the DVD-rom and CD writer.

I am confused. Any ideas what I try now?

PSF 22:57 18 Sep 2006

You say 'I looked in the BIOS, and neither hard disk drive was listed' does that mean you have two hard drives installed. If you have just installed a new drive and left the old one in, did you set the new one to master and old one to slave?

If you don't you can get the symptoms you are describing a continuous loop of installing.

woodchip 23:07 18 Sep 2006

Yes a New Data Cable or BIOS does not support the size of drive fitted. Other option is go to Hard Drive site and download Drive Setup Software. This uses software to fool the BIOS its called Software Overlay. This is not the name of the software only the way it works

nick125 21:07 19 Sep 2006

Thanks for all the help so far. The BIOS now recognises the hard drive, but when the system reboots after the text based installation phase, now I get "disk read error, press control - alt - delete to restart.

And so it goes on.

One thought - maybe there is a boot sector virus on the machine which has infected the disk (even though it is brand new).

Any ideas, anyone?

terryf 21:09 19 Sep 2006

Take 1 hard drive out until you have the PC working, then instal the 2nd drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?