Windows XP Installation Merging

Funktion 23:28 14 Sep 2009

Getting rather clever in my old age, I have just managed to reinstall XP rather than repairing it. This was not my intention, but in my defence I was cooking tea at the same time...!

I now have two system directories, C:\Windows (knackered installation) and C:\Windows.0 (shiny new installation). Associated with the new installation is the C:\Documents and Settings\[user].WINDOWS.0 folders.

Is there a way to move my working installation over to the standard Windows directory and remove the annoying suffix from the documents and settings folders? I know it's not exactly system critical and I should be thankful that my PC's up and running again but I've got a bit of OCD when it comes to folder naming so would rather be able to tidy things up.

Would it be possible to copy my Windows.0 files into the original Windows folder and modify the Registry references (e.g. using a 'find & replace' tool)? And how would I change my accounts to remove the suffix - would this come automatically with the Registry change? Also, since my old user accounts are still present in Documents and Settings is there a simple way to 'reactivate' these accounts?

Any input will be gratefully received, as always.

chub_tor 09:00 15 Sep 2009

Does this help click here ? Scroll down to Item 20.

Funktion 19:02 15 Sep 2009

I see where you're coming from - that will help me boot straight into the correct version and delete the old currupt one, but I will still be left with the annoying Windows.0 directory and [user].Windows.0 folders to use forever more!

Any ideas as to how to rename the actual Windows directory? As I said above, I think that copying the Windows directory and editing the Registry could be key to sorting it out - if I replaced all Registry references from Windows.0 to Windows and all the [user].Windows.0 references to [user] then it should all be fine, but I could do with confirmation of my theory before I give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?