Windows XP home start up problem

Bigarch 20:54 23 Aug 2004

On start up I get the following message "We apologise for any inconvenience but Windows did not start succesfully a recent hardaware or siftware device may have caused this. If computer stops responding choose last known good configuration. If previous start start up was interrupted power or rest - chosse start windows normally"

No new software or hardware were installed since the computer last worked ok last wednesday and was shut down as normal the.

I have tried to open Safe Mode; Safe Mode with Command prompt without success - i cannot get beyond this screen.

The final message I get is a long list of files like "multi,(0)disk(0)partition(2)\windows\system\drivers\ (and a whole list of files ending in) sys.

I want to avoid using the rescue boot disk if I can as I have some important files on the hard disk.

Any advice would be welcome

stalion 20:58 23 Aug 2004

run a disc check to see if you have any problems with any files

woodchip 20:58 23 Aug 2004

Start computer keep pressing F8 as it starts then choose last known good configuration

peeeeeeeeter 20:59 23 Aug 2004

Can you actually get into windows? If so, select start>run and type in sfc /scannow and see if that helps.

stalion 21:01 23 Aug 2004

I sometimes wonder if the threads are read properly,already stated can not get in to safe mode

Bigarch 21:12 23 Aug 2004

thanks for responses so far - can't get in to windows at all. have tried F8 can't get into safe mode or last known good configuration.

Stalion - how do I run a disk check from this initial screen?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:16 23 Aug 2004

change BIOS to 1st boot from CD

Boot with XP cd in drive

Select at the first screen to repair the system

This will not overwrite your data files.

For full details click here

VoG II 21:17 23 Aug 2004

"rescue boot disk " - is this a recovery disk or a full Windows XP disk?

stalion 21:28 23 Aug 2004

you can not run a disc check unless you can boot up,we await your answer to VoG™ question Regardsd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?