Windows XP Home - Programs

Storik 10:48 01 Apr 2005

Whilst using Windows 98SE, to avoid having a long list of programs disappearing at the bottom of the page, I used Windows Explorer to put various programs into catagorised folders. ie. All graphics programs were put into a "Graphics" folder, all disk writing programs into "Copy", Microsoft Publisher, Word, and Access into "Office 200", etc. etc.

Can anyone please explain how I can do this in Windows XP Home? The list of programs is starting to fill the screen.

Would be most grateful for advice.

Storik

StephenRogers 11:16 01 Apr 2005

Do you mean the programs list from the start menu?

rawprawn 11:43 01 Apr 2005

Highlight a proigram you want to move and drag it to your chosen folder which will open then drop it where you want it.

Storik 14:23 01 Apr 2005

Yes Stephen, programs list from the start menu. Sorry should have made myself clearer.

rawprawn: Is this in the "All Programs" list on the start menu? How do you make a new folder in there?

Sorry, have only been using XP a couple of months, and mine is a OEM version.

Storik

Storik 14:29 01 Apr 2005

It wasn't Windows Explorer I used to make up folders, but the Taskbar and Settings in Windows 98SE.

Storik

Storik 14:29 01 Apr 2005

It wasn't Windows Explorer I used to make up folders, but the Taskbar and Settings in Windows 98SE.

Storik

Storik 14:31 01 Apr 2005

but am repeatably getting "This page cannot be displayed" error messages on this site.

Storik

rawprawn 14:36 01 Apr 2005

I don't think you can make a new folder, but you can for example rename say a Windows Media simply Windows and put all windows programs in there or go to Accessories where you will find Entertainment and put all players etc in there. What I do is try to lump all similar programs together. Fo example I have Acronis True Image, Acronis Partition Expert and Acronis Privacey Expert, they all come under Acronis.
If someone knows how to make a new folder I will be interested to find out how.

rawprawn 14:41 01 Apr 2005

I think I have just found out how to create a new folder in the start menu.Right Click on Start
click properties put a tick in Classic Start Menu, Click Customise click add and follow the wizard.

T0SH 14:48 01 Apr 2005

Goto,your Documents and Settings folder, open up your (User Name) folder ,then Start Menu , then Programs, you should see your program shortcuts in there

most if not more of the shorcuts will also show in the (All Users) folders the good thing about making the changes in this section is as the name suggests global

I hope this helps

Cheers HC

Storik 14:56 01 Apr 2005

Started to play with this, haven't quite got there yet, but am working on it. Will let you know how I get on.

Meanwhile, folk, thanks for the suggestions, will continue to play.

Storik

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone