Windows XP Home not loading

Darklighter 08:58 06 Jul 2007

Hi all,

I have a Acer laptop 4150.
Windows XP home
Did have AOL installed but got corrupted and now my problems start!!

I have 2 issues

1) When I boot the PC up I get a a blue screen saying FAT 32 errors and needing to chkdsk, I let this run, takes about 45mins, then says verifying disk - how long does this take? As it sits at 1% for 30 minutes plus.

2) If I don't let the above happen and press any key windows normally loads, however, not any more the blue screen just hangs and nothing happens. In the past it loads into XP with no problems.

What do I do now - do I need to reinstall Windows XP home? or if I let it verify disk will this fix this problem.

All help gratefully received.

Taff™ 09:27 06 Jul 2007

Can you get into safe mode? (Pressing F8 as the laptop boots) Do you have a recovery disc or preferably a copy of XP Home?

chkdsk can take a long time but it sounds like the HDD is not responding. What happens if you leave it for longer than 30 minutes? You may need to check it out using another method.

Strawballs 10:00 06 Jul 2007

The fact that it say's Fat32 errors is surprising as you are running XP which normally uses NTFS as Taff™ has said can you get in to safe mode?

Taff™ 08:14 07 Jul 2007

Strawballs - Acer use FAT 32 on most of their laptops. They also (Annoyingly) split their HDD`s into two equal partitions!

Darklighter 12:43 09 Jul 2007

Thanks all for help,

left windows xp to do its thing, now loads okay

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?