Windows XP Home Hangs at Logo screen

JCElm 20:58 09 Sep 2005

My PC hangs at the Windows logo screen, the blue dots keep moving but thats all. I have tried starting in Safe and the other modes but it hangs in all of them after a few seconds.
I tried using my XP disc but that hangs at the "starting windows" line.
I have removed all the none essential cards and have only the graphics card is in the slots.
Any suggestions would much appreciated.

GaT7 21:40 09 Sep 2005

Try click here & click here.

A (temporary) workaround, to switch to Classic logon, may help too click here. G

woodchip 21:52 09 Sep 2005

Is the CPU fan working as this very much sounds like the CPU is overheating

Diodorus Siculus 22:11 09 Sep 2005

If not what Crossbow7 suggests, try a repair: click here
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

JCElm 23:07 09 Sep 2005

I looked at and tried some of you're suggestions, but without success it hangs at the black logo screen before it gets to the welcome screen. When I start with the XP disc in the CD drive I do not get a choice. I click any key to start from CD it do's a system check, loads drivers (I think thats what its doing)then hangs at "setup is starting Windows"blue screen.

JC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:21 09 Sep 2005

hangs at "setup is starting Windows"blue screen.

It will stick here for a short while how long have you waited?

JCElm 23:48 09 Sep 2005

45mins

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:37 10 Sep 2005

OK 45 mins far too long :0)

I would suspect a driver problem with a hang at this point but if you get stuck on safe mode and setup then maybe a memory problem.

Try boot ing with one stick of memory and swap round if doesn't work first time.

JCElm 18:50 13 Sep 2005

Thanks everybody for you're help.
I tried all the suggestions with no joy, so changed the hard-drive and still no joy, when I changed the drive back i forgot to plug in the ribbon cable for the cd and dvd drives and Hooray much joy it works. But when I plugged in the ribbon in it would not start again, trying each drive in turn I found its the cd drive thats the problem.
Thanks again everybody.

JC

woodchip 21:34 13 Sep 2005

Jumper may be set wrong fo the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?