Windows XP Home gets stuck during load

DeeCee1669 19:32 19 Jun 2007

I have recently experienced a bootup problem as the hal.dll file had been deleted from my system (someone in my family switched the computer off at the socket without shutting down). Having read the messages in this forum, I managed to reinstall the file. I have used chkdsk, bootcfg and fixboot. My hard disk appears to be okay. I tried to use the system disk to repair Windows but as it's the Home version that doesn't appear as an option. When I reboot in safe mode, the computer loads all the drivers etc and then reboots. If I "Start Windows Normally" it starts off okay but freeezes on the Windows logo. I am loath to format my drive as although I have backed up my data recently, I didn't backup my emails. Any hints as to what I can do to recover my system?

Thanks in anticipation

DeeCee

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 19 Jun 2007

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

DeeCee1669 20:39 19 Jun 2007

Thanks for your swift reply Fruit Bat. I can follow your steps until step 5. However, I don't have the R (repair) option available to me. As far as I can gather, it is only available if you have XP Professional and I have XP home.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:18 19 Jun 2007

Yes you should have the option in Home.

If its not offering to repair then the CD setup files cannot see the windows XP installation on the HDD.

Try
Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

DeeCee1669 22:04 19 Jun 2007

Thanks. I can almost do this but.... I can get to the root of the C drive and can see the System Volume Information directory in the dir listing. When I put in your command it tells me it does not recognise the parameters. I have tried chdir also and omitting resto~1 from the path.
Incidentally, although I can navigate about between c: and the Windows dir, I cannot use any of the other commands such as del or mkdir. Just wondered if that was significant. At least all the Windows files are still there !!

Cheers
DeeCee

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:15 19 Jun 2007
  DeeCee1669 09:13 29 Jun 2007

Thanks very much Fruit Bat for all your advice.
I can access all my files now. This horrible experience has prompted me to buy a new hard drive to archive all my files so at least a lesson has been learnt.

DeeCee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?